Friday, October 14, 2011

Wanderer

Wander: to move about without a definite destination or purpose. Wandering usually has negative connotations but to me it is one of the most beautiful words. And I know I am and always have been a wanderer in multiple ways.
Dreamers tend to be wanderers and I am definitely a dreamer. I have countless childhood memories of me wandering off outside by myself, talking to myself, closing my eyes, spinning around...wandering into my own world. Tuning out completely the reality of everything else around me. Catch me walking by myself today and I probably won't notice you no matter how violently you wave your arms. Whenever I'm alone still, I am in my own world inside my head.
My sister left for the Peace Corps when I was in 4th grade. She is a wanderer too. Around that time I started to think about how amazing it would be to wander somewhere I've never been before. Somewhere across a big ocean. Some place that feels like another world. I think I terrified my mom by telling her I wanted to be in the Peace Corps at such a young age. Sorry mom, us wanderers can't be held back.
I always dreamed of going off to college as much as I dreamed about my wedding when I was little. I always knew I'd be far from home but I am definitely the farthest from home of any of my friends. This is terrifying at times and I miss home but I've waited so long to finally seek things even though I dont know what I'm looking for and find things by stumbling upon them by accident.
"Not all those who wander are lost" is a quote from J.R.R. Tolkein. I could not agree with him more. All of my friends have their major and next 6 years planned out while I am an undecided major with too many passions and loves that I'm having trouble choosing. I definitely feel like I'm wandering through college right now with no exact view of what I want my life to look like afterwards. I usually have a plan for everything so this freaks me out at times but I know I'm just taking my time to discover where I am supposed to be.
I am by no means "lost" though the last month has been interesting for me. Its hard for me to pin down what I want and don't want, what I want to attempt and what I don't, because everything is an experience so why not try it all. Sometimes I can barely handle my own sense of adventure though, and when my mind gets a head of itself, I feel off balance, and like I will never figure out what it is I am trully meant for I know Jeremiah 29:11 speaks the truth, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."
I am glad I wander and wonder. I'm glad I am not too rooted in one place. I'm glad my heart feels at home in four different states, maybe one day Texas will be added to the list. But most of all I am glad to know that no matter how far I wander from home, friends, family, my feet will always be standing on the solid rock. And He wont let me get lost.

1 comment:

  1. Your big sister fully supports wandering. As long as you wander places I can visit...

    ReplyDelete