Friday, October 7, 2011

Missing home...(or something like it)

This year I have decided I hate the question "What is your hometown?" I always answer St.Louis, Missouri because I lived there until I was 12. I love it and still miss it often but classifying St. Louis as home makes me uneasy about how to classify Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
When my dad told me we were moving to Minnesota I was basically convinced I would be living in a frozen tundra/wasteland. Heck, you are basically in Canada when you get that far north. Somehow though despite the -20 windchill on occassion, in the last 6 winters I've spent there Minnesota has earned a special place in my heart.
When you have nothing to say to anyone in college they ask you where you are from and what your major is. Telling all the Texans I'm from Minnesota receives a variety of responses. After learning I'm from Minnesota they ask why I don't have the crazy accent. Then I have to explain St. Louis as my hometown but that I am from Minnesota.
I know a lot of people have this "hometown idenity crisis." And I never thought Minnesota would be a place I'd call home. The winters are horrendous but theres something kinda crazy awesome about living in a place that gets 30 FEET of snow. And I appreciate sunshine 10 times more in the summer because I know its not always around. Heres a short little list of the things I love/miss.

1.Fall (Its October 7th...90 degrees in Texas...)
2.The State Fair (I will miss it for the next 4 years. Guess I get to eat 4 times the allowed quantity of calories the year I finally will be there after college)
3.The ever changing weather (at least you get to mix it up a bit, one random day of 50 to bundle up for fun, then back to 70. Texas requires an infinite supply of cute tank tops and shorts.)
4.My friends (this is a given but I hung out with the same people all summer and when I walked in to a party and heard I Cant Stop by Flux Pavillion, I wanted to cry.)
5. Minnesotans (okay there are many stereotypes but "Minnesota-nice" and "Southern-hospitality" are two VERY different things and I miss my Minnesota peeps.)
6.Trees/green stuff (I understaaaaaand Texas you are in a drought and there are tons of wildfires but seriously even if there wasnt a drought...there are like no trees except on Baylor campus)
7.Uptown and the Lakes
8. So much ethiopian, thai, and indian food it stops your heart...or at least mine.
9. Being 20 minutes away from anything! If Waco doesn't have it...its an hour and a half to Austin.
10. Being vegan. Pretty much impossible when you have to eat campus food and live in a state that worships meat.

But despite missing home/where I am "from" I do love Baylor/Texas.
1. 3 spoons. Don't even feel guilty not being a vegan at this fro-yo shop. Its beyooond worth it.
2. Classes :) I love me some good learnin!
3. The fitness center supports my obsession with fitness and I have become obsessed with this Boxing/Conditioning class which is totally the reason I have avoided the freshman 15 (my instructor has little sympathy for our fatigue).
4. All the friendly people! Everyone seriously is so nice!
5. The salad bars. It is a simple joy to see kidney beans, chickpeas, and beets as a constant option for my daily salad.
6. Antioch, the church I go to here, is out of this world.
7.Football games. Love the school spirit.
8. I learned how to two-step.
9. I can finally recycle!!! My father was against paying for recycling.
10. 2 minute walk to Starbucks.

I am so happy here but I think of Minnesota and know I would be so happy there too. It makes me excited to go back and visit and excited I get to have a new and different experience here.

No comments:

Post a Comment