Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My mom and I have always been close. I of course went through my angsty teenager period but through all of that I was never annoyed when my mom asked if I wanted to go for a walk, if I wanted to go to Panera for lunch, or if I wanted to watch What Not to Wear.
My mom is perfect to me. I know no one is perfect but I don't care. When I think of how I want to be when I am 50ish she is the first person in my mind. She is kind to absolutely everyone, incredibly selfless, and above all seeks the Lord with all of her heart everyday. In a world full of "christians" I am so blessed to have a mother who actively pursues God and lives out her faith.
In my senior year of highschool I got lots of questions about going off to college. What will you miss? What are you excited for? etc. Most people were stoked about getting off to college and not having to deal with parents. For me, leaving my mom was one of the worst things about packing up and moving 2,000 miles down I-35. I tried to explain this awesome relationship we have to my friends and all I could really come up with is that she is basically my best friend minus the drama.
Since today has basically sucked, I thought about her today as I walked back to my dorm after my Environmental Science Lab. I asked myself what the one thing was I wish I could have right now that would comfort me. Immediately my mom giving me a hug popped into my mind and I teared up out of reflex.
My mom and I have always had a special connection and I know I am so lucky to have that. We would sometimes lay on the stairs when I got home from school and talk about my day, boys, friends, and then we'd talk about Pokeno, BSF (Bible Study Fellowship), and what we should make next from Cooking Light magazing.
I go home for Thanksgiving in 7 weeks and that hug from my mama at the airport is what I am most excited for.

No comments:

Post a Comment