Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Many Forms of a Friendship

Friendships come in all shapes and sizes. You really can't compare one to the other. Being in college and far from home I have come to really value all the different sorts of friends and relationships I have with people. They all seem to pop into your life exactly when you need them. And though its painful, some drift away when its time to let go. At least for awhile. Here are some of my friendship categories:
-The "We-never-really-talk-but-I-know-we-are-still-best-friends" Friend: This one is to my darling Christina whom I met by being an extremely awkward 6th grader. She was so tall and I was so short and I could stop staring at her! Ever since then we were best friends. I kid you not, that is actually how we met. Christina had to break the awkward silence by complimenting my shirt. She is at UCLA and I am in Texas. The two of us are some of the few who ventured out of state among our group of friends. I think that shows our similar sense of adventure and search for freedom. Christina is one of the most involved people I know and we will go almost a month without talking and then we can Skype and pick up right where we left off. She has been a blessing since the day we met and I know we will still be getting Starbucks together when we are old and gray.
-The "All-of-the-sudden-we-are-best-friends" Friend: Sarah. Over this Spring Break we hung out pretty much every single day and bonded so much I have no idea how I handled life before having her. We were friends a few months ago but now its blossomed into something way more beautiful. It is so exciting to watch friendships grow and change. Sarah and I met through a friend and we hung out a lot all last summer but never hung out much one on one. Sarah is a lover like me and she always makes me feel so happy and loved when I am feeling completely insignificant. She is the one I can really talk to when I am upset.
-The "Okay-only-those-two-girls-dont-make-me-want-to-cut-my-ears-off" Friends: Amanda and Emily! Met them somewhat by chance at a restaurant with some mutual"friends." Shortly after that night I realized I didn't really like any of my friends except those two girls I met at that Mexican restaurant. Basically Amanda and Emily saved me. I love them to death and would probably be digging my own grave at Baylor if it wasn't for them. Okay maybe that is slightly dramatic but you get the idea. Amanda is insane, weird, and excentric and never afraid to be her loud crazy self. Emily is quiter but still completely weird and quirky and full of surprises. They are such a blessing and always a reminder that there is some reason I am at Baylor.
-The "Are-you-two-dating?" Friend: Oh Matt. We met in 8th grade because he sat in front of me in Geography and signed his name on the Birthday calendar on the same day as me. After we straightened out the fact that he is indeed one hour older than me, we began passing notes all the time. I would definitely consider Matt my first, best guy friend who I really could tell anything to and that hasn't changed. Though he is way up north in Minnesota, we skype all the time. He is always there for me and I know he always will be. Hes probably the only guy who can say "You're so CUUUAAAATTTTEEEE when I have puffy eyes and snot running down my face and get away with it without receiving a slap in the face."
-The "Spontaneous-facebook-chat" Friend: Alex. He was a friend of one of my ex's and now neither of us talk to him but we talk to eachother a lot! This friendship is in its begining stages but he makes me laugh, we have a lot in common, and reminds me of home. I know we will hang out this summer though when I am home now that he sees me as a friend and not his ex-friend's ex.
-The "Oh-my-goodness!-you-are-from-Minnesota-too??!" Friend: Sean. Automaticaly felt the need to be his friend when I met him in boxing class because he understood where I was from. He knew the same culture, lifestyle, and quirky Minnesota things I did. And I thought maybe he would agree with me that Texas is a little weird compared to home. Having someone understand where you are from is a big step in understanding the person. I felt kinda like he already knew me once he knew I was from Minnesota and turns out I was right. He is a good friend who isn't afraid to be honest with me which I like a lot.
-The "Can-we-finally-be-'friends'?" Friend: Jae. My small group leader since 7th grade. She has been my leader at church for a long time and me and my friends would always ask her when we could be real friends. She finally told us that when we graduated the Senior High program we could be "friend friends." Now she is not only a mentor but a friend to me. She reminds me to pray and read my Bible but she also is a complete fool and can eat a horrendous amount of 0reos, hummus, vegetables, chips, and salsa with me while watching "Fairy Hollow."
Of course this isn't everyone but its a start. I was just thinking today how interesting friendships are. How once you begin a new one you never know where it will lead. That friend could introduce you to your best friend, boyfriend, or someone else you need. And as some friends go you keep the connections you made through that person. Its a comforting way of knowing that nothing was ever lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment