Friday, February 3, 2012

My Grandpa

I never knew my biological grandfather on my mother's side. Fortunately I gained the greatest grandpa I could have hoped for when my Mammaw married an amazing man named Onis. He is one of the sweetest men I have ever known and will be sorely missed. I got a call from my father this afternoon saying Onis had passed away less than an hour ago. I was in complete shock. Hearing a loved one is gone when there is no family around you to support you is completely disorienting.
Onis is the grandfather I have known the longest. My grandfather on my dad's side died when I was only six. Onis meant something special to me. He was the grandfather who really got to see me grow up. He got to see me grow from six to 19. He would sit me in his lap and always tell me how much he loved this family. How our family opened up to him and loved him freely. I don't see how anyone could not love such a sweet man.
Onis loved the Lord with all of his heart. He would cite scripture from memory all the time. He would close his eyes in prayer while just sitting in his chair, shutting out everyone else in the living room. The last few times I saw him I heard him whisper "Take me home, Lord." It was horrible and heart-wrenching to me then, but now I realize he wasn't afraid of death. He knew where his real home was and he was ready to go and be with his Lord.
I remember visiting him once when I was around 15. I was going through some not so happy times of my life then and I remember him just telling me how special and wonderful I am over and over again. Perhaps he saw through my angsty, new teenager facade and knew I needed a little love. It might not seem like much but he was the only grandpa who has ever said something like that to me at a time when I needed it most.
For the past few years him and my Mamaw have lived in an assisted living center. The last few years we have visited have been more difficult. Onis was 101 when he died. He lived a long, good life and we knew this time was coming. I will never forget him playing his harmonica or telling stories I have heard a million times over. His hugs and kisses especially will always be my comfort. I still can hear him saying to me "You're a sweet girl, darlin." And some days knowing that is all you need.

1 comment:

  1. Four things: 1. Thanks for sharing your words about Onis!! I really enjoyed them and echo them in agreement. 2. You are a really great writer, yo. 3. I am in MN..why are you not here? 4. I like your room color and will try to dissuade your parents from painting over it. Also, love that you inherited your cousins' decorating habits. ;-) Miss you and love you. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete